As pet parents we’ve all been there, you’re eating and look over to see an adorable sweet face staring at you, just begging you to share. It can be hard to say no, just look at those eyes! The problem is, just because something is safe for you to eat, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s okay for dogs and cats. By being proactive and knowing which human foods aren’t good for dogs and cats, you’ll keep your pets happy and healthy.
Most people have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs but many pet parents are surprised to find out it is also bad for cats. As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to pets. So baking chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate.
2. Onions and Garlic
Onions, garlic and other related foods such as scallions and chives are dangerous for dogs and cats. Onions and garlic are incredibly popular ingredients and they’re used in many of the foods we consume every day. So remember to keep any dish containing onions or garlic far away from your pets.
3. Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are very bad for dogs. At this time, anecdotal evidence suggests that cats may also be affected. Grapes and raisins are used in many dishes or often consumed on their own as an easy snack. Boxes of raisins are an especially popular snack for little kids who are usually the perfect height for sneaky pets to grab food right out of their hand.
While you may have never heard of Xylitol before, chances are you’ve consumed it. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used to replace sugar in products. It is commonly used in sugar-free gums, mints, candy and even toothpaste. Xylitol is a known toxin in dogs; however it is not clear the affect it has on cats.
5. Caffeinated Products
Coffee, tea, energy drinks and other caffeinated foods and beverages are bad for both dogs and cats. While cats are more sensitive to caffeine than dogs, in both species caffeine can be potentially fatal.
All types of alcohol are dangerous for pets: beer, wine, and liquor. Cats and many dogs have a much smaller body weight and mass than humans, so a little bit of alcohol can have a very big effect.
If you suspect, or know, your dog or cat has consumed any of these call you veterinarian immediately.